This section is where you will find the answers to the most common questions regarding obtaining a medical cannabis certification in the state of Illinois. You may also contact Compassionate Care Consulting at (847) 310-7420. Additional information may be found by contacting the State Of Illinois Department of Public Health at (855) 636-3688.

What medical conditions are included in the pilot program?

Patients must suffer from a debilitating condition, defined as:

  • Agitation of Alzheimer’s disease
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
  • Arnold-Chiari malformation
  • Cancer
  • Causalgia
  • Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
  • Crohn’s disease
  • CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome Type II)
  • Dystonia
  • Fibrous Dysplasia
  • Glaucoma
  • Hepatitis C
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Hydromyelia
  • Interstitial cystitis
  • Lupus
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Muscular Dystrophy
  • Myasthenia Gravis
  • Myoclonus
  • Nail-patella syndrome
  • Neurofibromatosis
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
  • Residual limb pain
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Seizures (including those characteristic of Epilepsy)
  • Severe fibromyalgia
  • Sjogren’s syndrome
  • Spinal cord disease (including but not limited to arachnoiditis)
  • Spinal cord injury is damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
  • Spinocerebellar ataxia
  • Syringomyelia
  • Tarlov cysts
  • Tourette syndrome
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Cachexia/wasting syndrome

How do I obtain my medical records?

You can simplify the process by calling your physician or hospital where you received diagnosis and treatment and tell them you need hard copies or a pdf of your medical records. Pdf forms can be emailed to you from your doctor’s office.

How do I register as a medical cannabis patient with the state of Illinois?

A qualifying patient would have to submit a signed, written certification issued by the physician who stated that in the physician’s professional opinion the patient would likely receive therapeutic or symptom-relieving benefits from the medical use of cannabis to treat or alleviate a debilitating medical condition. The certification would have to specify the debilitating medical condition and be made in the course of a physician-patient relationship after the physician had completed a full assessment of the patient’s medical history. If the qualifying patient were under 18 years of age, the patient’s custodial parent or legal guardian would have to submit written certifications from two physicians, and the custodial parent or legal guardian would have to consent in writing to control the patient’s medical use of the cannabis.

Will my insurance company cover the certification process, consultation or medical cannabis application?

No. At this time nothing in the law requires any health insurance provider, or any government agency or authority, to reimburse any person for the expenses of the medical use of cannabis.

What is the cost of the application fees for the registry card?

Qualifying patients and caregivers may apply for a one-, two-, or three-year registry identification card. Persons who are receiving Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and veterans may be eligible for a reduced application fee.

Application fees for Qualifying Patients

Application Fee Reduced Application Fee
❏$100 - One-Year Registry Card ❏$50 - One-Year Registry Card
❏$200 - Two-Year Registry Card ❏$100 - Two-Year Registry Card
❏$250 - Three-Year Registry Card ❏$125 - Three-Year Registry Card

Application fees for Designated Caregivers

In order to enter or make a purchase of medical cannabis at a licensed dispensary or assist a registered qualifying patient with the use of medical cannabis, the designated caregiver must have a registry identification card.

❏$25 - One-Year Registry Card
❏$50 - Two-Year Registry Card
❏$75 - Caregiver applying separately for a patient who has already been registered(the expiration date for the caregiver and the patient card will be the same)

Qualifying Patients enrolled in SSDI or SSI – Submit a “Benefit Verification Letter” from the Social Security Administration that shows your name and address and the type of benefits that are received. This letter must be dated within the last year. You can get this letter by using your My Social Security account online at My Social Security Account.

*Veterans who receive health services at a Veteran’s Administration (VA) facility are not required to obtain a physician’s written certification, but must submit 12 months of VA records to the Department with their application.

How long will the certification last?

Certifications are valid for one year after your medical cannabis registration is approved. We recommend that you to make an appointment before the expiration date so that you can be re-evaluated and obtain a renewal of your physician certification for your Illinois Medical Cannabis Card.

Can I extend my registration card?

Currently, medical cannabis registry cards are valid for one year. Registered qualifying patients have the option to extend their registry card for one year or two years.

Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) will mail a letter with information about extending your medical cannabis registry identification card to registered cardholders approximately 60 to 90 days before the expiration date listed on the card.

Can I extend my registry identification card on-line?

No. You must extend your registry identification card using the paper form which will be sent to you in the mail.

What is the
fee for extending my medical cannabis registry card?

Your Medical Cannabis Registry Identification Card Application is valid for up to three years. You may choose to extend your registry card by selecting a one-year card or a two-year card:
Extension Fee Reduced Extension Fee *
$100 -- One-Year Registry Card $50 -- One-Year Registry Card
$200 -- Two-Year Registry Card $100 -- Two-Year Registry Card
*The reduced fee is for qualifying patients enrolled in the Federal Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability programs, or Veterans.

If you paid a reduced application fee previously, you do NOT need to send a copy of your SSI/SSDI letter or DD214 with your extension form.

If you paid the full application fee during your initial application, but qualify for a reduced fee now, you must attach a copy of your DD214 or “Benefit Verification” letter from the Social Security Administration.

After each three-year cycle, you will be required to submit a new application along with a physician certification, a fingerprint background check, a new photo and other documentation to extend your registry identification card.

What happens if my registry identification card expires before I am able to send in my extension form?

If we do not receive your request to extend your registry card at least 10 days before your registry identification card expires, you will need to complete a new application to participate in the program, including obtaining a physician certification and a fingerprint background check. If your card expires, you will not have the benefit of the immunities provided by the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act under Section 25 to registered qualifying patients and designated caregivers.

Will my designated caregiver have to get an extension also?

Yes. Caregiver information will be included on the extension form that is sent to you. If you have a designated caregiver, you must extend his/her registry card at the same time.

Can I change my designated caregiver?

Yes, you may change your designated caregiver. If you are adding a new caregiver, you must submit a new caregiver application including a photo, fingerprints, and supporting documents. Your new caregiver will not be effective until a complete application has been received and approved. We recommend you discuss this with the person who is your current caregiver before submitting a new caregiver application.

My registry
identification card does not expire until next year. Can I get an extension form now?

No. IDPH will mail a letter with extension information to registered cardholders approximately 60 to 90 days before the expiration date listed on the medical cannabis registry identification card. Please wait for this information before attempting to extend your card.


Contact us today by calling (847) 310-7420